Friday, October 11, 2013

Radioactivation


So, I have been “radioactivated.”


It was pretty much how I thought it was going to be. Which is to say it was pretty straightforward and easy. I was taken back into a room and had an IV hooked up and then they shot some radioactive material into me and I had to sit in the dark and wait 90 minutes for the stuff to work its way through my body. That actually worked out pretty good since I found myself up at the kitchen table at 3:30 in the morning last night thinking about the implications of this test. I had myself so worked up over the damn thing that I think I slept about a grand total of an hour and a half. Of course, I got about 90 more minutes once that IV was hooked up and I was reclined in the chair they put me in.


Watching the preparation for the the “juice” that they put in me was a little disconcerting. After giving me reading material and then telling me verbally that the amount of this stuff that they were going to inject me with is so miniscule that it would not affect me at all, I watched the nurse put on rubber gloves and take out this steel container that looked like a small time capsule. She proceeded to screw off the lid with a caution that led me to believe that we were dealing with unstable plutonium. (and maybe that's like saying I ate some fish that tasted fishy, I don't really know much about nuclear ingredients. Maybe plutonium is always unstable, and not just this particular batch.)


But here's my thing. If it's so miniscule as to not affect me, put your money where your mouth is and take off the gloves sister. I kept thinking of Eddie Murphy telling Stevie Wonder, “You wanna impress me?” “Take the wheel mother******”


And actually, I can't complain. As has been the case everywhere I've been so far, the staff was great. The IV didn't hurt at all and everyone was super-nice.
 
The scan itself only took about 20 minutes and was very much like an MRI without all the noise. The tube was bigger too, so there was no sense of "how am I gonna get out of this thing if the zombie apocolypse starts right now and those two come in here looking for a meal?"


I asked very nicely to be able to know what the results were at the conclusion of the scan, and was told that it just wouldn't be possible, that my oncologist would have to be the one to let me know. That's not going to happen until at least Monday, so, more waiting.


On a side note, since my radioactivation, I have been conducting subtle tests for super powers. The tests are not complete, but thus far, I have figured out that I have not been imbued with the ability to fly or run super-fast, nor do I seem to have any sort of x-ray vision. Stamina does not seem to have been enhanced either (sorry Kelly Church, I was really hoping you were going to catch a break there.) On the way out of Petoskey however, I was able to point two fingers at a red light, whistle, and yell “Presto Chango!” and watch the light turn green. There may be something to this, but more testing is definitely required.


That's all I have for now. I will update everyone as soon as I have the results, and thank-you as always, for your continued positive thoughts and prayers. I don't know that it's just one person who beats cancer. I think it takes the strength of a family, a circle of friends, and a community to give a person the will to do battle. Thank-you, all of you, for that.


I Will Win

4 comments:

  1. I saw your link on Facebook and decided I would click over. I read this and then knew I needed to read from the beginning. When you hear (or in this case read) something like this, you never know what to say. I won't say it's all going to be alright because I don't know that, but I will say that our family will be thinking of you and sending the best and most positive thoughts your way. In the short time that we got to know you, Kelly and the family - we saw that you are a strong family unit. Keep that strength, but remember that it is OK to not be strong all of the time. Remember the LaVigne family will be thinking of you and your family and sending only the best thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this, as well, the other day and started at the beginning. Aside from the fact that you are - and always have been - a good (and humorous) read, I was taken by surprise and more than a little shaken.. But you are right - you will win.. You and Kelly are strong.. and I think your writing will help you a great deal, too.

    I don't pray.. but I believe in asking the Universe for things I want. I've been on the Universe's ass for a few days now so you have us on your side.

    Strangely enough, I bought a book a few months ago and now I know it was the Universe telling me to get it for you. I'll mail it out to you in a few days.. I thought about you seeing it and thinking "damn hippie" .. but you know, how could I be your friend and not give you something you may think is nutty, but I believe in? So call me weird (as per usual) but I think the book is important.. and maybe you will, too.

    Big hugs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jude,
      Thanks for getting the Universe involved. I'm on a lot of prayer lists, and probably a few lists that aren't so good, but it makes me happy to know that you're thinking of Kelly and me. I look forward to seeing the book, and I'll be sure to think "damn hippie" when I see it now. We will have to resume our occasional breakfasts and get caught up a little bit.

      Delete
  3. Hey Sarah,
    Thanks for the kind words and all the positive thoughts. I think about you guys a lot and wonder how you're doing. I see the pictures you post of the boys, and am surprised at how big they are getting. Tell Jason I said Hey, and take care. Also, keep reading because I plan on writing for a long time. Long past the time that I beat this.

    ReplyDelete