Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happy Birthday to me

There is a funny joke by comedian Stephen Wright that I think is great for birthdays. He is talking about how bad his memory is and how he had to keep a journal so that he could remember things. He proves that he has done it since birth by pulling his earliest entry. It reads “Day 1: Still tired from the move.”

I turned 45 today and although I don't remember or have written evidence of my feelings regarding the first day, I have had some pretty good days and events between then and now. Not all of them have been good though. There has been a divorce and of course, the cancer diagnosis thrown in there too. This is not a pity party or anything as I realize that we have all had events in our lives that we would rather not have to have dealt with.

Kelly Church has kept me on a pretty tight leash over the past several weeks. In fact, she is out pulling snow off the garage roof and then snow blowing it into the back yard as I write this. Due to her watchful eye, I have watched a lot of TV and played a lot of board games with Abigael (if you read my post regarding our wiffleball games together, you don't need to ask what the score is on the board games). Anyway, the point I was making here is that I've heard a couple good quotes that I can apply to my situation. And it's kind of dumb, but the two that I like the most are from movies that I've literally seen over 50 times each, but never paid as much attention to the quotes as I have recently.

The first is from the movie Miracle. Coach Herb Brooks is in the locker room just before the United States plays the Soviets in the Olympics. He tells them that “great moments are born from great opportunity. That's what you have here tonight. That's what you've earned here tonight.” I don't know if anyone actually earns cancer, but the first part of the quote gives me goose bumps. It would be a great moment to hear the words “Scott Church, you are cancer free.” To have beaten it after it took me completely by surprise and sidetracked my life for nearly a year. I know that's just barely a minute compared to the length of the fight that some people have to face, but all I can do is fight the battle that's put in front of me and wish for the best for everyone else.

The second quote is from Apollo 13 when a couple of NASA officials are discussing the ramifications of what will happen if Jim Lovell and his crew are lost. Gene Kranz, played by Ed Harris whips around on them and says “Actually gentlemen, I believe this will be our finest hour.” His refusal to allow anyone to think that losing the crew was acceptable went a long way toward getting them home. I know that I've talked before about not ever allowing the thoughts about how this could all go bad into my head and believing in the power of positivity, and that quote by Kranz really sums up my feelings on the whole thing. Hearing that phrase “cancer free” will be my finest hour, and anything less than that is simply unacceptable, period.

What I've written above was inspired by a visit to my oncologist today. Why I ever agreed to a Dr. appointment on my birthday is beyond me, but it was only in St. Ignace so it wasn't so bad. We got there and I had to get some blood drawn first thing. I don't know if I mentioned this in any of the hospital posts, but I had so much blood and so many needles stuck in me at Henry Ford, that the thought of either happening anymore is not something I look forward too. Once the blood was drawn, the nurse wanted to tape a piece of gauze to my arm. I refused. I had so much tape on me at the hospital, that it won't bother me to never see another piece of tape stuck to my skin as long as I live. It's been three weeks since my surgery and I've still got tape residue all over me.

Now that I've shared my new-found fear of tape with everyone, I'll get to the important part of my visit to the oncologist. Today was to be the day that we determined what we were going to do for the second round of chemotherapy. I had been hoping that because my post-operative pathology report came back so good, maybe we would do the pills again. I'm not real interested in doing the liquid chemo because that means getting a port put in and that's two more surgeries to go through, in addition to the one that I'm going to have to have to reverse the illiostomy. What I found out was that if there is another round of chemo, it's going to be through a port. But what I also found out, is that there may not be the need for another round. My doctor told me that at this year's oncologist convention (or whatever they call it), there was research presented that says when a a pathology report comes back as clean as mine did, there isn't a need for the second round of chemo. My doctor hasn't had time to thoroughly read through the study and he wants to make sure before he forgoes the chemo. He is also going to check with a couple of his colleagues to make sure that they agree with what he thinks.

Just the thought of not having to undergo a second round of chemo is a huge boost to me. That would speed up the process of getting the illiostomy reversed and would eliminate two surgeries. I know that it's not a sure thing by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that it's even being considered makes me feel good about where I'm at right now. I should know in about a week what the plan is and I'll be sure to let everyone know what the decision is.

I Will Win

No comments:

Post a Comment