Saturday, February 8, 2014

Free at last


I want to apologize to everyone prior to writing  this post for the lack of updates lately.  Kelly has been updating facebook with new information each day, but until now, I have simply not felt physically able to type for any extended period of time.

 

The last two weeks have been filled with ups and downs on a scale that boggles my mind.  I speak  on a personal scale of course, I don’t really have any idea of how the last two weeks have been for most people.  I have had surgery, dealt with complications, undergone procedures to uncomplicated them and finally, been granted sweet release from the hospital.

 

First and foremost, the cancer is gone.  The surgery was a complete success from that standpoint and as of this moment, there is no cancer in my body.  I know this because of the pathology report that was done on the lymph nodes and small blood cells that were removed along with the small piece of my colon.  No lymph nodes were cancerous and no cancer cells were found in those small blood cells so that definitely qualifies as an “up” on my roller coaster ride.

 

While I was recovering, things  were looking good.  I was eating solid foods and there was talk of going home in a day or two.  I still would have missed my Super Bowl on my own couch timetable, but  I’d have been perfectly happy with that.  This is where the roller coaster took its first downhill plunge.  On Friday afternoon, right after I had gotten food, I started to feel hot and sweaty.  I thought maybe I was just adjusting to solid food again, so I really didn’t think much of it.   I got a little more concerned later that night when it didn’t stop and actually got worse.   By Saturday afternoon, I was getting worried and the doctors determined that my intestines had gone to sleep.  They told me that this happens about 40 percent of the time in these surgeries and that it would straighten itself out. 

 

I don’t have to tell you that when the intestine shuts down, the mail stops moving.  Air becomes trapped inside there and with nowhere to go, it begins to cause a stomach ache.  After a day of this, I had a whopper.  The nurses and doctors kept asking me if I felt nauseated  and I didn’t so I told them no.  It was really frustrating answering that question over and over again.  On Saturday afternoon, in one brief moment, the reasoning for the repeated question because crystal clear.  I was sitting up in bed watching TV while Kelly was talking on the phone.   My stomach lurched and I knew I was going to be sick.  I glanced over at Kelly as if to ask for help and before I could get words out of my mouth, I got lots of puke out.  It was brown, smelly, and everywhere.  It was exorcist puke.  I began to panic because I couldn’t draw breath and yet my stomach continued to heave.  Finally, it was over.  I sat on the bed covered in my own vomit, shaking, and drooling trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

 

It was explained to me that with the intestine sleeping, everything that enters the stomach has got to go somewhere, and the only somewhere it could go was up.

 

After a few minutes, a nurse came in with what they referred to as an NG Tube.  This is a tube that goes up your nostril and down your throat into the stomach.  It is then connected to some suction and used to empty out the stomach in hopes of restarting the intestine.  I have a bad gag reflex, so the idea of this tube was especially terrifying.  It took three tries, more vomit, and a lot more sweat and gagging before the tube finally got to where it needed to go.  I couldn’t talk without gagging, I couldn’t turn my head without aggravating my nose and my throat, and I knew I wasn’t going home nearly as quickly as I wanted to.

 

The tube did have the desired effect though.  Immediately after the suction started, the container filled with the same junk that I had been puking up minutes before.

 

I was devastated.  I had gone from being on the verge of being released to being there a minimum of three more days.   The nurses were all encouraging and the doctors continued to tell me that it was just a matter of time before the intestine started working again.  Thankfully, they were right and after a couple of days the tube came out.  (much easier than it went in, I might add).  From there it was just a waiting game while we got back on clear liquids and solid foods again to make sure that my stomach could handle it.

 

They teased us with the thought of a Friday afternoon release, but that didn’t happen so we had to wait until today to get the boot.

 

I have lots more about the hospital stay to talk about, but this is getting a bit long. 

 

I Will Win

No comments:

Post a Comment